"Each has his own tree of ancestors, but at the top of all sits Probably Arboreal." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday 11 May 2012

N is for Newby - update

Yesterday the marriage certificate for Walter Newby and Margaret Thompson arrived. It confirmed that the name of Walter’s father is Thomas Henry Newby, market gardener, and he is deceased by the time of the marriage in 1928.
As you know, I’ve been unable to locate Walter and family on the 1911 census. So I’ve formulated a new plan:
1. Identify probable deaths for Thomas Henry Newby ­– probably pre-1911, since there’s no sign on the census, but perhaps not.
2. Find him on the 1901 census – with a bit of luck he’s already married!
3. From this, identify a likely birth for Walter based on location
4. Order birth certificate to find mother’s name.
5. Tie it all together by accounting for them on 1911 census.
I can’t see a better way forward than this, but if anyone has any suggestions I’d be glad to hear them. I’ll keep you posted on my progress!
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...