"Each has his own tree of ancestors, but at the top of all sits Probably Arboreal." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday 26 April 2012

L is for Lumb

The only L in my family tree is my 3x great-grandmother Mary Ann Lumb. She marries Henry Hampshire  in 1848, and one of their children, Ezra Hampshire, is the father of my great-grandmother Annie Louisa Hampshire (straight down my maternal line). I know from various census records that Mary Ann was born abt. 1830 in Thornhill, West Yorkshire. However, I haven’t progressed much further than this.
Mary Ann was an ancestor I identified early in my research, and presented a bit of a stumbling block at the time as I hadn’t managed to locate anything to help me accurately identify her parents. As this was back in my student days I was reluctant to shell out for the marriage certificate, and I obviously haven’t gone back to her since.
This is a good example of why I’m enjoying this blogging project so much – because it is reminding of half-forgotten ancestors, helping me to reconsider the research I have done so far and see where I can progress. When I went to look at Mary Ann’s Ancestry profile, there were 13 suggested records, and two member 'photos and stories'! I gave them a quick scan but disappointingly there was nothing immediately useful.
That said, I do think that with the constant release of records there must be new material out there that will help me find out more about Mary Ann. A parish marriage record would be very useful. If not, ordering her marriage certificate is going straight to the top of my ‘records to obtain’ list!
I’ll keep you posted...
L x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...