"Each has his own tree of ancestors, but at the top of all sits Probably Arboreal." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Thursday 2 February 2012

On women’s football

A very quick post. I loved this article. I’d like to think some of my female ancestors had this much bravado – although if they did, I obviously haven’t inherited their sporting prowess!
 It’s unlikely I’ll ever know, unless they happen to have been particularly instrumental in their chosen activity, like Nettie Honeyball.
Genealogists will probably agree, finding out about your female ancestors can be much harder. They’re much less likely to have held the kinds of social positions men did. Their occupations are not always recorded, though I’m sure that, in working class families at least, many of them had to. In fact, as you get further back, even finding a surname can be hard in the parish records!
I wouldn’t consider myself a hardcore feminist, but it makes me so thankful for our relative freedom and equality in the 21st century!
L x
Next time: why do we do family history?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...