"Each has his own tree of ancestors, but at the top of all sits Probably Arboreal." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Friday 24 February 2012

On WDYTYA Live 2012: Must-see workshops – Friday

Almost impossible to decide, as there are so many I would have liked to see, and across all three days as well – in fact, had I been going, choosing which day to attend would have been almost impossible! Here is what would be my perfect workshop calendar for Friday:

Historical Maps – How to find out more about Family History (10.30 a.m.) – Old maps are fascinating things, but beyond checking out proximity of location I’ve  never come up with a particularly useful way of using them, so I’d be interested to see what suggestions this  workshop has.
The plan: Find a book / website that can offer some beginners guidance on this, then put it into practice. I don’t use old maps enough, and I need to change that!

Surnames, DNA and family history (12.30 p.m.) – a talk on ‘the link between surnames and DNA, what it tells us about history of surnames in Britain as well as famous cases and unexpected results involving this research’. To be honest, it might not be the most useful lecture, but I reckon it will probably be the most interesting of the weekend!
The plan: There must be a fascinating book on this topic somewhere...

Family history and education (2.30 p.m.) – I totally support the idea of making genealogy part of mainstream education. What a fascinating thing to have done at school, and how relevant so many of its skills are to History and other subjects. A proper family history project in a classroom environment could be so engaging. I’d be interested to find out more about the ‘campaign’.
The plan: Check out the Making History project online. Maybe even get involved, if I can...

Reading the writing of the past – Paleaography (4.30 p.m.) – an essential skill as a genealogist, but one in which I have never been given much guidance. Although I’ve read a lot of material about doing genealogical research, there’s never been any real focus on this, so I’d like to learn a few basics and find out how I could learn more.
The plan: I think a book might be the way forward, or maybe even a course of some description. I need to look into this...

Come back tomorrow to see my ideal Saturday sessions...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy...